Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Vanilla or Not? What does the world see 'US" as?




This has been brought to my attention more than once over the past few months, since being collared to him. It makes me wonder what the world see's "US" as? Does it merely see us as lovers, the type of lovers where I wear some strange necklace around my throat? Whereas most do not even know it is from him, most merely think of it as a pretty chain with a strange lock. Something that an eccentric lady would wear. Having to do with my flair for the unique. It annoys me frankly, that I am not allowed to express to all those that are around me what exactly it stands for.

I wish I could. If you are married, people do not think twice about showing you their ring, admiring it, even taking pictures of it to show the world. But wearing his collar is different, it must be hidden from the world, from society. And if there are pictures taken of it, they too must be hidden away, or perhaps put on some website that will accept it for what it is. I was asked a question today by a friend, a newly acquired friend, "Is your collar like a wedding ring? With the same commitments? Is it the same living with your Master as a husband?" She is new to our lifestyle, and very curious about the differences, the similiarities......

So how to explain in simple terms, I would say layman, but that might not fit this situation, this lifestyle, where it is out of the norm so to speak. My replies to her were simple, but yet at the same time complex. Yes to me it is like a wedding ring, with the age-old commitments standing behind it, and then some.

I will honor him, I will obey him, I will love him til death do us part. Whether it be sickness or in health, richness or poorness. In good times and bad times, and in joy and sorrow. I will cherish him as long as I live. I will be only his and have sealed my fate with the collar around my throat. I have given him my heart, my soul, my mind and my flesh.

That pretty much sums it up, for I have given him my all, and all that is yet to come. So yes, the outside world might see this as vanilla, or lovers, or whatever other label they deem fit, but what I see it as is.......

Our life together.

No comments: